Historically, the relations are characterized by the alliance in the two world wars, as well as the relatively close cooperation in the Cold War period. After the deterioration of relations during the disintegration of the SFRY and the severance of diplomatic relations due to the NATO bombing in 1999, relations were renewed on 17 November 2000 at the ambassadorial level. Bilateral relations today are improved and significantly better than in previous years.
President Aleksandar Vučić paid a visit to Washington from February 29th to March 3rd and from September 2nd to 5th 2020. On both occasions, President of the Republic of Serbia met with the highest American officials.
A formal reception at the Congress, on the occasion of marking the 100th anniversary of the raising of the Serbian flag at the White House, was held on 25 July 2018 in Washington. The reception was attended by Prime Minister Ana Brnabić and the former First Vice President of the Government and the Minister of Foreign Affairs Ivica Dačić.
The former Vice President of the USA Joseph Biden visited Belgrade in August 2016.
In 2020, the total trade amounted to about 811,6 million USD (exports to the USA amounted to 369,3 million USD and import amounted to 442,3 million USD).
In 2019, the total trade amounted to about 854 million dollars (exports to the USA amounted to 303 million, and imports to 551 million dollars).
The main USA investors in the Republic of Serbia are: Philip Morris, Pepsi Co, Coca Cola, Ball Corporation and many others.
- Convention on Rights, Privileges and Immunities of Consular Officers between the Kingdom of Serbia and the USA, signed on 14 October 1881, date of ratification and entry into force on 15 November 1882. (The Official Gazette No. 268/1882);
- Air Transport Agreement between the Government of the Republic of Serbia and the Government of the United States of America, date of signing on 29 May 2015 (Official Gazette of RS—International Agreements No. 15/15);
- Agreement on cooperation between the Republic of Serbia and the United States of America on Drug Control and Law Enforcement, signed on 29 September 2014 (Official Gazette of RS—International Agreements No. 14/14);
- Agreement on Extradition between the Republic of Serbia and the United States of America, signed on 15 August 2016 (Official Gazette of RS—International Agreements No. 2/19);
- Agreement between the Government of the Republic of Serbia and the Government of the USA with the Aim of Improving the Harmonization of Tax Regulations at the International Level and the Application of FATCA regulations (Foreign Account tax Compliance Act), with Annexes 1 and 2, signed on 10 April 2019 (Official Gazette of RS—International Agreements No. 16/2019 of 27 December 2019)
Embassy of the Republic of Serbia in Washington: http://www.washington.mfa.gov.rs/lat/
Embassy of the United States of America in Belgrade: https://rs.usembassy.gov/sr/
Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Serbia
Department for North and South America, tel. 00 381 (0) 11 30 68 762, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org