Close cooperation took place within the Non-Aligned Movement, and the Prime Minister of Burma, U Nu, is considered one of the founders of this organization. Since the first contacts in the 1950s, the two countries have had very close military and economic co-operation, until a stalemate in the exchange of high-level visits following the outbreak of the former SFRY crisis and the imposition of military and economic sanctions on Myanmar by Western countries due to the rule of the military junta. The then First Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs of Serbia I. Dačić was in official visit to Myanmar on 27 – 31 January 2019. On that occasion, he met with State Counsellor and Minister of Foreign Affairs Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and Minister of International Cooperation Kyaw Tin.
In 2020, Serbian exports to Myanmar amounted to 4.8 million euros, and imports 14.2 million euros. In 2019, trade in the amount of 22.98 million euros was realized, with Serbian imports being 12.75 million euros and exports 10.23 million euros.
- Trade agreement between the Government of the SFRY and the Government of the Union of Burma, signed on 13 September 1967 (The Official Gazette No. 5/1968, Appendix).
- Agreement between the Government of the Republic of Serbia and the Government of the Republic of the Union of Myanmar on cooperation in the field of culture and education, signed on 20 February 2013 (The Official Gazette – International Treaties No. 2/2018 from 19 February 2016).
- Agreement between the Republic of Serbia and the Republic of the Union of Myanmar on the reciprocal leasing of real estate intended for the accommodation of diplomatic and consular missions, signed on 8 November 2018.
- Agreement between the Government of the Republic of Serbia represented by the Ministry of Defence and the Government of the Republic of Myanmar Union represented by the Ministry of Defence on cooperation in the field of defence, signed on 11 May 2015 (The Official Gazette, International Treaties No. 3/2016 from 19 February 2016).
- Agreement between the Republic of Serbia and the Republic of the Union of Myanmar on the abolition of visas for holders of diplomatic and official passports, signed on 29 January 2019 (The Official Gazette, International Treaties No. 10/2019).
Embassy of the Republic of Serbia in Yangon (Myanmar): http://www.yangon.mfa.gov.rs/cir.
Embassy of the Republic of the Union of Myanmar in Belgrade:
Competent political department:
Department for Asia, Australia and Pacific (DAAP); tel. 00 381 (0)11 30 68 345; e-mail: email@example.com.